7.09.2012

Respect Despite Imperfection




There are many examples in the Bible of those who honored individuals in authority, (of course, because they were true Christians and deserved it) even when these misused or abused their authority.  David was one such fine example.  King Saul, under whom he served, became jealous of David's achievements and sought to kill him.  ( 1 Samuel 18:8-12; 19:9-11; 23:26)  Still, though having opportunities to kill Saul, David said:  "It is unthinkable, on my part, to thrust my hand out against the anointed of Jehovah!"  (1 Samuel 24:3-6; 26:7-13)  David knew that Saul was in the wrong, but he left it up to Jehovah to judge him.  (1 Samuel 24:12, 15; 26:22-24)   He did not speak abusively of or to Saul.

Was David distressed while he was being mistreated?  "There are . . .tyrants that do seek my soul," David cried out to Jehovah:  "Deliver me from my enemies, O my God . . .Strong ones make an attack on me, for no revolt on my part, nor any sin on my part, O Jehovah.  Though there is no error, they run and get themselves ready. Do rouse yourself at my calling and see."  (Psalm 59:1-4)  Have you  ever felt the same way-that you had done no wrong to a person in authority, yet he kept giving you a hard time?  David did not fail to show respect to Saul.  Upon Saul's death, instead of exulting in joy, David composed a dirge:  "Saul and Jonathan, the lovable ones and the pleasant ones during their life. . . Swifter than the eagles they were mightier than the lions they were.  You daughters of Israel, weep over Saul."  (2 Samuel 1:23, 24)  What  fine example of genuine respect for the anointed of Jehovah, even though David had been wronged by Saul!

In the Christian era, we also find outstanding examples of those honoring God-given authorities.   (Here on earth. There can't  be any God-given, it is people given, because we are all imperfect humans, those of us who are true Christians  are still imperfect. We just strive to do better towards God and do what he expects of us. But we are not all without sin.)  Take, for instance, Paul.  He showed respect for the decisions of the first-century governing body of the Christian congregation.  During Pauls' last visit to Jerusalem, the governing body counseled him to cleanse himself ceremonially to show others that he harbored no animosity toward the Mosaic Law.  Paul could have reasoned:  "Those brothers previously instructed  me to leave Jerusalem when my life was threatened.  Now they want me to demonstrate in public that I respect the Mosaic law. I've already written a letter to the Galatians advising them  to keep free from observing the Law. If I go to the temple, other may misunderstand my action, thinking that I am compromising with those of the circumcised class.'  However, Paul evidently  did not reason that way.  Since no compromise of Christian principles was involve, he respected  and complied with the counsel of the first-century governing body.  The immediate result was that Paul had to be rescued from a Jewish mob, and he subsequently spent two years in prison.  In the long term, God's will was done.  Paul witnessed before high officials in Caesarea and then was taken at government expense to Rome to witness before Caesar himself. - Acts 9:26-30; 21:2-20-26; 23:11; 24:27; Galatians 2:12; 4:9, 10.

Next time:  Do You Show Respect!

The Watchtower, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.