4.17.2015

A Conversation With a Neighbor - What Is the Holy Spirit?


The following is a typical conversation that one of Jehovah's Witnesses might have with a neighbor. Let us imagine that a Witness named Scott has called at the home of a  man named Brad.

What Do You Mean by "Holy Ghost"?

Brad: I have hears that Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christians. You don't believe in the holy ghost. 

Scott: First, let me assure you that we are Christians.  My belief in Jesus Christ has brought me to your door this morning. After all, he is the One who commands his followers  to preach.  But may I ask, just what do you mean by "Holy ghost"? 

Brad: I mean the holy spirit, the third person in the Trinity, the helper that Jesus promised  to send to us. That helper is very important to me.I want to feel the presence of the holy spirit in my life. 

Scott: That's how many people understand the holy spirit. Some time ago, I had an opportunity to examine what the Bible teaches on this subject. If you have a few minutes, I would be pleased to show you what I learned. 

Brad: Yes, i have a few minutes. 


Scott:  By the way, my name is Scott. May I ask your name? 

Brad: Brad. Nice to meet you.

Scott: Nice to meet you too, Brad. Our of respect for your time, let me focus on just one aspect of this subject. You mentioned that the holy spirit is the helper that Jesus promised to us. I agree with you. But is it your understanding that the holy spirit is a person and equal to God? 

Brad: Yes, that is what I was taught.  

Next time: Is the Holy Spirit a Person? 

From the Watchtower magazine, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.