4.29.2015

Give Thanks to Jehovah and Be Blessed


WHEN COPING WITH TRIALS

Having a grateful heart can help us to cope with grievous trials. We may feel overwhelmed if we are suddenly confronted with life-alerting circumstances, such as the unfaithfulness of a marriage mate, a life-threatening illness, the death of a loved one, or the devastating effects of a natural disaster. At such times, we will be comforted and strengthened by reflecting on our blessings.  Consider the following real-life experiences. 

Irina, a regular pioneer in North America, was married to an elder who proved to be unfaithful and abandoned her and their children. What helped  Irina to go on serving Jehovah faithfully?  She says:  "I am grateful for Jehovah's personal care for me as an individual. By choosing to count my blessings each day, I can see what  a privilege it is to be known and loved by our protective heavenly Father. I know that he will never abandon me." Although Irina has experienced many tragic circumstances  to sustain her and she is a source of encouragement to others. 

Kyung-sook, who lives in Asia, pioneered with her husband for more than 20 years. Suddenly, she was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer and was told that she  had from three to six months to live. Although she and her husband had faced many trials, large and small, they had always felt confident  about their  health. She said: "This health issue hit me hard. I felt that  I has  everything, and I was very scared." What has helped Kyung-sook to cope? She says: "Every night before going to bed, I go to the rooftop of our home and pray out loud about five things that I am grateful for from that day.  Then I feel reassured, and I am moved to express my love for Jehovah."  How has Kyung-sook benefited from these nightly prayers?  She says:  "I have come to realize that Jehovah sustains us through trialsome circumstances and that there are far more blessings in our lives than  there are trials."

 Jason, who serves at a branch office in Africa, has been in full-time service for more than 30 years.  He relates:  "Seven years ago, I lost my wife in death, and the pain can be overwhelming. Letting myself dwell on what she experienced while fighting cancer can be very disheartening."  What has helped Jason to cope?  "At one point," he says, "I was remembering a pleasant time that my wife and I had spent together, and I thanked  Jehovah in prayer for that memory. I felt a sense of relief and thereafter started to thank Jehovah regularly for such happy memories. Gratefulness has made a big difference in my outlook. I still feel the pain of the loss, but thanking Jehovah for having had a good marriage and for the privilege  of serving him with someone who deeply loved him has improved my outlook."

When Super Typhoon Haiyan hit the central Philippines in late 2013, Sheryl, who was only 13 years old at the time, lost virtually everything.  She said;  "I lost my home, and I lost most of my family."  Her father, mother, and three siblings died in the powerful storm surge. What has helped  Sheryl to get through this tragedy without becoming bitter? She has a grateful heart and remains conscious of the blessings she still has.  "I saw all that the brothers and sisters did to bring relief and  encouragement to those who needed help. I knew that brothers all around the world were praying for me ."  She added:  "I am very grateful that Jehovah is my God.  He always gives us the things we need." Yes, being conscious of our blessings is a powerful antidote to being swallowed up by grief. An appreciative heart helps us to go on despite any distressing events that we may face. -Ephesians 5:20; read Philippians 4:6, 7. 

Next time: Give Thanks to Jehovah and Be Blessed - "AS FOR ME, 
I WILL EXULT IN JEHOVAH" 

From the Watchtower magazine, 2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.