4.05.2015

Why Examine the Bible?


The following is a typical conversation that one of Jehovah's Witnesses might have with a neighbor. Let us imagine that a Witness named Brian has contacted a man named Eric.

THE BIBLE-ACCURATE HISTORY

Eric: I should tell you that I'm not very religious. So I don't  think we have much to talk about. 

Brian: I appreciate your telling me that. By the way, my name is Brian. And your name? 


Eric: Eric

Brian: It's nice to meet you Eric.

Eric: You too.

Brian: If I may ask, did you grow up in a religious household? 

Eric: Yes. But when I left home for college, I kind of lost touch with religion.

Brian: I see. What did you study in college?

Eric: Social studies and history. I've always liked history-you know, man's journey on earth. 

Brian: History can be fascinating. The Bible, as you may know, is  book of history. Did you ever include the Bible in your research?

Eric: Not really, I know it's a good book, but I never really thought of the Bible as a historical book.

Brian: You seem to be an open-minded person. If you have a few minutes, I would like to show you just a few examples of accurate history found in the Bible. 

Eric: Sure. But I don't have a Bible.

Brian: That's OK. I can show you from my copy.  The first example is here at 1 Chronicles chapter 29, verses 26 and 27. Those verses says: "Thus David the son of Jesse reigned over all Israel, and the length of his reign over Israel was 40 years.  In Hebron he reigned for 33 years. 

Eric: How is that an example of accurate history?

Brian: Well, critics at one time learned that King David never existed. 

Eric: Really? Why would they question his existence? 

Brian: There was very little evidence outside the Bible that he was a real person. However, in 1993, a team of archaeologists uncovered a very ancient  stone with a word on it that is translated "House of David."

Eric Interesting.

Brian: Another person from the Bible whose existence was questioned was Pontius Pilate, a governor who ruled in Jesus' day. He is mentioned here at Luke chapter 3, verse 1-among many other government officials of the time. 

Eric: Yes, I see. It says that 'when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, Herod was district ruler of Galilee." 


Brian: Right. For years, some scholars doubted  whether Pontius Pilate was a real person. Then,  about 50 years ago, a stone was found in the Middle East with his name clearly etched on it. 

Eric: Hmm. I've never heard those details before. 


Brian: I'm glad to share them with you. 


Eric: To be honest, I have always respected the Bible as a work of literature, but I've never really felt that it had any relevance to our time. It may contain accurate history, but I don't think it has any particular value.  


Next time: Why Examine the Bible? -THE BIBLE-AN OLD BUT MODERN BOOK

From the Watchtower magazine, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.