10.19.2015

A Letter From the Dominican Republic


"I have never felt such love"

NIURKA gave a Bible presentation for the first time in our congregation this week. She had prepared by writing out in Braille what she would say, and then she memorized it. I was on the platform with her, playing the role of a person who wanted to learn Bible truth. A microphone carried my voice to her headphones. When we finished, the appreciative audience applauded with such volume that she actually heard them. Her smile reflected her great joy and satisfaction. I was happy too. How rewarding it is to be in  missionary service! 

I remember the first time I met Niurka. It was two years ago. After a half-hour drive over dusty roads, I got my first glimpse of her. She was sitting on the porch of a modest country home-a wood and cinder-block structure with a rusted tin roof. Goats, rabbits, and dogs added to the sounds and smells. Niurka sat slumped with her head down, a picture of solitude and depression. She looked much older than her 34 years. 

I gently tapped her on the shoulder, and she looked up at us with eyes that 11 years before had  lost their ability to see. By shouting into her ear, I introduced myself and my preaching companion. Later, we learned that Niurka was a victim of Marfan syndrome, a genetic disease that caused her much suffering. Niurka also has severe diabetes that requires a vigilant monitoring of her highly erratic  blood-sugar levels.  

When a I place a Bible in her hands, she recognized it and said that she had enjoyed reading the Scriptures before losing her sight. How, though, was I to teach this lonely, humbly, fragile creature the refreshing truths in God's Word?  Since she  knew the alphabet, I began by placing letters  in her hands. Soon she could identify them. Next, by feeling my hands as I signed, she learned to associate each letter with the corresponding letter in American  Sign Language. Gradually, she learned other signs.  Since I had only begun  to learn the language myself, each study session required hours of preparation.  However, both Niurka and I were highly motivated, so we quickly grew in our abilities with sign language. 

Next time: A Letter From the Dominican Republic - Conclusion of "I Have Never Felt Such Love"

From the Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.