10.15.2015

You Can Be Happy Despite Disappointment


WHO has never been disappointed?  Why, even our heavenly Father, Jehovah God, has experienced the pain of disappointment. For example, he delivered the Israelites from slavery in Egypt and blessed them richly. Yet, the Bible says:  "Again and again they would put God to the test, and they pained even the Holy One of Israel."  (Psalm 78:41)  Nevertheless, Jehovah has always been "the happy God." -1 Timothy 1:11. 

Indeed, many are the causes of disappointment. How can we prevent them from robbing us of our happiness?  What can we learn from the way Jehovah God handled disappointing situations? 

Things That Disappoint

"Time and unforeseen occurrence" befall us all, states God's Word. (Ecclesiastes  9:11)  All of a sudden,  a crime, an accident, or a disease can bring great distress-and disappointment.  The Bible also says: "Expectation postponed is making the heart sick." (Proverbs 13:12)  Eager anticipation of something good fills us with joy, but if it is not soon realized, we may feel a depressing sense of letdown.   For example, Duncan, who  had his heart set on being a missionary, found that after many years  in missionary service, he and his wife had to return home."  For the first time in my life, I lost all sense of direction," he said.  "I had no goals. Nothing seemed important anymore." The pain of disappointment  can be long lasting, as in Claire's case. She explains: "I was seven months pregnant when I lost my baby by miscarriage.  That was years ago, but even now, when I see a boy giving a talk on the stage, I think to myself, "That is how old my son would be.' " 

It can also be painful when someone lets you down, as when a courtship ends, a marriage fails, a child rebels, a companion is disloyal, or a friend is ungrateful. Since we live among imperfect people and in difficult  times, the possibilities for disappointment are endless.

Our own failures can likewise cause disappointment.  For instance, if we fail to pass an exam, get a job, win some one's heart, we may feel worthless. We can also feel disappointment with ourselves when someone we love falters.  Mary says;  "My daughter seemed to be doing well. I felt that I had set a good example for her. But when she turned her back on Jehovah God and our family values , I felt that I was a total failure. None of the successes I had in other aspects of life could make up for it. I was so discouraged." 

How can we cope with such letdowns?  For  the answer, consider the example set by Jehovah in dealing with disappointment.  

Next time: You Can Be Happy Despite Disappointment - Focus on the Solution

From the Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.