10.20.2015

"HE LEADS ME IN THE TRACKS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS" -AS TOLD BY OLGA CAMPBELL


A Cross-Country Move

In November, my brother Fred asked me to work as a housekeeper in his three-story house in the city of Toronto in eastern Canada.  I agreed, hoping that I might enjoy greater freedom to worship Jehovah there. Before I left, I visited my sister Ann, who was still nearby in Saskatchewan.  She had a surprise for me-she and Doris were studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses, and she urged me to do the same.  Then I shared my secret-I was already a baptized Witness!

My younger sister Emily and I took the long train ride to Toronto. Bill met us at the station and brought us to the house that he shared with Fred and John. I asked Fred who else lived in the house.   "You'll never believe this," he said. He lives upstairs, and that crazy man is interested in those Bible students!" My heart leaped. 

I tiptoed up to see Alex and arranged to go to a meeting with him that very night. I wanted to attend right away so that my brothers would not have time  to try to dissuade me. Shortly afterward, even though I had never had a formal Bible study, i went in the preaching work for the first time. I enjoyed speaking  with many Ukrainians, using the language I had learned in my childhood. 

Bill enjoyed reading the Watchtower, which I often put in his room. After he moved to British Columbia in western Canada, I sent him a subscription to The Watchtower. Though usually a man of few words, he wrote me a ten-page letter expressing his gratitude. In time, he dedicated his life to Jehovah and became a zealous Christian overseer.  So to my great joy, five of my siblings-Bill, Ann, Fred, Doris, and Emily-became dedicated worshippers of Jehovah!

On May 22, 1945, the Canadian government lifted the ban on the work of Jehovah's Witnesses. Actually, I had not realized that we were under ban until I heard that announcement.  My friend Judy Lukus and I decided to take up the full-time ministry as pioneers farther east in French-speaking Quebec. When my sisters Doris and Emily heard about our plans, they decided to pioneer in Vancouver, British Columbia, on the other side of the continent. 

Next time: Same as above-with Religious Intolerance in Quebec 

From the Watchtower magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.