1.23.2016

How to Be More Positive-Why Attitude Matters


Which of the following do you think has the biggest effect on your happiness?

*your circumstances

* your genes* 
* your attitude

Some would choose "circumstances," perhaps saying, "I would be happy . . .

* "if only I had more money"

* "if only I had a great marriage"

* "if only I had better health" 

In reality, though, attitude often trumps circumstances and genes when it comes to happiness. And that is good news. Why? Because  unlike your circumstances or your genes-over which you have little or no control-you can control your attitude.

"GOOD MEDICINE"


A Bible proverb states:  "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit saps one's strength." (Proverbs 17:22)   In other words, your attitude makes a big difference!  It can affect whether you attain a goal Aup or whether  tragic event brings out the best in you or the worst.



Some people might be skeptical of that idea.  They might reason: 

* 'Why hide my hardships behind a mask of optimism?'

* 'No amount of positive thinking will change my situation.' 

* ' I would rather be a realist than a dreamer.' 

Those thoughts might seem valid. Still, there are benefits to adopting a positive outlook. To illustrate, consider the following scenarios. 

At their place of employment, Alex and Brian each work hard on separate projects. After analyzing their work, the supervisor points out key errors in each project.  

Alex:  "I put so much time and effort into this project, and I still didn't get it right! I'll never succeed at this job. No matter how hard I work, it's never good enough. Why do I even try?"

Brian: "My boss highlighted aspects of my work that he liked, but I made a few fundamental mistakes. I've learned some valuable lessons that will help me do better next time."

Next time: How to Be More Positive -Why Attitude Matters -WHAT DO YOU THINK? 

From the Watchtower magazine 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.