1.22.2016

How to Overcome Insecurity


THREE WAYS TO FEEL MORE SECURE 

1. Learn to trust in Jehovah as a Father.

Jesus urged us to get to know his Father,  "the only true God." (John 17:3) "He is not far off from each one of us,"  the apostle Paul assures us.  (Acts 17:27) "Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you,"  wrote James. -James 4:8.

Knowing that we have a heavenly Father who loves and cares for us is a vital step in overcoming feelings of anxiety.  True, it may take time to build this trust, but many have found that doing so really helps.  "When Jehovah became my Father, I finally had someone to whom I could express my inner feelings," says Caroline.  "This brought me so much relief!"

"Jehovah is the one who helped me to feel secure when I was left alone without my parents," recalls Rachel.  "I could talk to him and ask him to help me with my problems. And he did help me."

2. Find a spiritual family.

Jesus taught his disciples to think of one another as brothers and sisters.  "All of you are brothers," he told them . (Matthew 23:8) He wanted his true disciples to love one another and become what we would call a large spiritual family. -Matthew 12:48-50; John 13:35. 

Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses sincerely try to provide the warmth and comfort of a true spiritual family. (Hebrews 10:24, 25) Many have found that  congregation meetings can serve as a soothing ointment that cures their emotional cuts and bruises. 

"I had a special friend in my local congregation, who understood the pain I was suffering,"  recalls Eva.  "She listened to me, read to me, and prayed with me.  she made sure I was not alone. She helped me talk things through and unburden myself.  Thanks to her support, I began to feel more secure." "I found a 'mother and a father' in the congregation," Rachel adds.  "They really made me feel loved and secure." 

3. Show love and kindness to others.

Showing love and kindness to others builds lasting friendships. Jesus said:  "There is more happiness  in giving than in receiving."  (Acts 20:35)  And we will doubtless  discover that the more love we show, the more we receive.  "Practice giving, and people will give to you," Jesus told his disciples. -Luke 6:38. 

By giving  and receiving love, we feel much more secure. As the Bible points out, "love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:8)  "I know that some negative views i have about  myself are simply not true," Maria admits.   "I escape from this frame of mind by helping others and forgetting myself.  I always feel satisfied when I do something for others.  

SECURITY FOR EVERYONE 

The above steps are not a 'magic formula' that provides instant, lasting relief.  But they can make a big difference.   "I still have feelings of insecurity," Caroline admits.   "But now I have more self-worth.  I know God cares for me, and I have many close friends who also make me feel  more secure." Rachel feels the same way.  "From time to time, sadness overwhelms me," she says.   "But I have spiritual brothers and sisters I can turn to for advice, ones who help me see  things positively.   And above all, I have a heavenly Father whom I talk to every day. That makes all the difference."

Next time: How to Be More Positive-Why Attitude Matters

From the Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.