4.11.2017

How Can I Stop Trying to Be Perfect? - Perfection-An Attainable Goal?


First of all, is it possible for you to be perfect in the absolute sense?  Not according to the Bible, which says:  "There is not a righteous man, not even one . . . All men have deflected, all of them together have become worthless."  (Romans 3:10-12) Thought provoking words, aren't they?  They indicate that anyone who tries to be absolutely perfect is going to fail.

Consider the apostle Paul, who obviously was an outstanding example of spirituality.  Yet, even Paul couldn't serve God without error. He confessed:  "When I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me.  I really delight in the law of the God according to the man I am within, but I behold in my members another law warning against the law of my mind and leading me captive to sin's law that is in my members."  (Romans 7:21-23)  It was only with God's help that Paul could be faithful as a Christian.

Fortunately, God neither demands nor expects absolute perfection from any of us.  "He himself well knows the formation of us, remembering that we are dust."  (Psalm 103:14)  Only in God's new world will humans finally reach the state of perfection. 

Next time: How Can I Stop Trying to Be Perfect? -  Revised Expectations

From the jw.org publications 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.