4.05.2017

INTERVIEW/FAN YU - A Software Designer Explains His Faith


DR. FAN YU began his career as a research mathematician at the China Institute of  Atomic Energy, near Beijing. At that time he was an atheist and believed in the theory of evolution. But now Dr. Yu believes that life was designed and created by God. Awake!  asked him about his faith.

Please tell us about your background.

I was born in 1959 in Fuzhou City, Jiangzi Province, China.  By the time I was eight years old, the country was experiencing the effects of what is now called the Cultural Revolution.  My father, a civil engineer, was ordered to build a railway in a distant wilderness area.  For years he could only visit us only once a year. During that time I lived with my mother, who was a teacher in an elementary school. We actually lived in the very school where she taught. In 1970, we had to move to liufang, at the time a poor rural village in the Linchuan District, where food was scarce. 

What did your family believe

My father was not interested in religion or politics. My mother was a Buddhist. At school, I was taught that life evolved by natural processes, and I believed what my teachers said.  

Why did you become interested in mathematics?

I was attracted to mathematics because it involves seeking truth through logical reasoning. I went to university shortly after the leader of the revolution, Mao Tse-tung died in 1976. I chose mathematics as my major subject. After I obtained a master's degree, my first job involve mathematical research for the design of nuclear reactors. 

What was your first impression of the Bible

In 1987, I came to the United States to pursue doctorate studies at Texas A&M University.  I was aware that in America, many people believed in God and read the Bible. Also, I had heard that the Bible contains a lot of practical wisdom, so I thought I should read it.

The teachings of the Bible sounded practical. But I found some parts hard to understand and soon stopped reading it.


Next time: Conclusion of: INTERVIEW/FAN YU - A Software Designer Explains His Faith

From the jw.org publications

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.