4.05.2017

INTERVIEW/FAN YU - A Software Designer Explains His Faith


How was your interest in the Bible renewed?

In 1990, one of Jehovah's Witnesses called at my house and showed me what the Bible says about a better future for mankind. She arranged for a married couple to come and help me understand the Bible. Later, my wife, Liping, who had taught high school physics in China and who was also an atheist, began studying the Bible as well.  We learned what the Bible says about the origin of life. The idea of a Creator was new to me, so I decided to do my own research on the subject.

How did you go about that?

As a mathematician, I was trained to calculate the probabilities of events. I had also learned that for life to occur spontaneously, proteins would already have to exist. So I tried to calculate  the probability of a protein originating by an unguided process. Proteins are among the most complex molecules known, and living cells can have thousands of different types of proteins interacting in very precise ways. I realized, as others have, the spontaneous formation of a protein is so improbable that it is essentially impossible!  I have not read anything in evolution theory that explains to my satisfaction how these highly complex molecules  could, in effect, create themselves-let alone the living systems of which they form an integral part. To me, the facts pointed to a Creator. 

What convinced you that the Bible comes from God? 

As I continued studying with the help of Jehovah's Witnesses, I learned that the Bible contains many detailed prophecies that have been fulfilled. I also began experiencing the benefits of applying Bible principles. I wondered, 'How could Bible writers living thousands of years ago write words of wisdom that remain so practical today?' Progressively, I realized that the Bible is God's Word.

What continues to convince you that there is a  Creator?

When I give thought to the many elements in nature, I cannot help but believe in a Creator.  Currently I design software for computers, and I often feel amazed at how our brain outperforms computer programs.  For example,  our brain's ability to recognize speech  is mind-boggling. Most of us can easily understand speech, even if it includes  incomplete sentences, laughter, coughs, stutters, accents, echoes, and background noise, or telephone distortion. You might think  this unremarkable.  But software designers know otherwise.  Even the best speech-recognition software is a far cry from the human brain.

Unlike the most complex computers, our brain can discern emotions, recognize accents, and identify speakers by  the voice characteristics.  Software designers are researching how computer could mimic the human brain's ability to recognize speech. I am convinced that in doing so they are actually studying the handiwork of God.

Next time: BULLYING/What Can You Do About It? - BULLYING A Global Problem

From the jw.org publications 























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.