8.19.2022

I Wanted to Be Like Jephthah's Daughter/As Told by Joanna Soans - My Family Background -Conclusion

 Traditionally, we had been part of a matrilineal system, in which children were considered part of the mother's family.  Lineage was traced through her, and daughters receved the larger share of the inheritance.  In some Tulu communities, a girl continued to live with with her mother after marriage, and her husband would join her.


Since our family had become nominal Christans, some things were different. Each evening my grandfather led the family in worship, praying, and reading from the Bible in the Tulu language.  Whenever he opened his tattered copy of the Bible to read to us, it was as if he were opening a box of  jewels.  It was exciting!  Psalm 23:1 intrigued me: "Jehovah is my Shepherd. I shall lack nothing." I wondered,  who is this Jehovah, and why is he called a shepherd?


Next time: I Wanted to Be Like Jephthah's Daughter/As Told By Joanna Soans - The "Scales" Fell From My Eyes


From the jw.org publications








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.