6.05.2011

THE BIBLE CHANGES LIVES

WHY did a popular singer give up her career to become a full-time minister of religion?  And what enabled a criminal described by a judge as being beyond reform to become a productive member of society?  Read these accounts to find the answers.

"No one can slave for two masters."

Year born: 1962
Country of origin: Spain
History: Actress and Zarzuela Singer

MY PAST:  I was born in the small village of Tresjuncos, in the region known as La Mancha.  My family worked the land.  My mother was Catholic, and my father,  Protestant.  He taught me to respect the Bible; I saw him reading it all the time.  But my mother raised me as a Catholic and took me to Mass every Sunday.

When I was 15, I left the village and went to live in Madrid with my older sister.  I missed my parents a lot but eventually adapted to city life.  When I was 17, I had the chance to work for a few months with a zarzuela, a traditional Spanish light opera.  I enjoyed that life very much and decided to become an actress.  I quit the sectretarial course I was taking and began working with  different zarzuela companies.  About this time, I began a relationship  with the brother of one of my friends.  I felt so fortunate to have a good job, money and love. 

I began touring with different zarzuela companies throughout Spain as well as other countries, such as Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Venezuela.  I also sang with various groups that belonged to a popular musical movement in Madrid know as "La movida madrilena."  One of the groups for which I was the main vocalist became successful.

I liked the work but not the immoral atmosphere.  Moreover, I became obsessed with my appearance and with maintaining my image.  I kept to a very strict diet and began suffering from anorexia and bulimia.

My main goal still  was to become an actress.  Eventually, I was accepted at the Madrid School of Dramatic Arts.  We were taught that acting requires that the individual dig into the character's feelings and also into his or he own feelings.  When I applied this advice, I realized that I was emotionally empty. I had become a superficial, selfish woman.

Next time: HOW THE BIBLE CHANGED MY LIFE

Watchtower, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.