3.22.2015

LIFE STORY/A PRIVILEGED SHARE IN POSTWAR EXPANSION


Changes of Circumstances

In 1957, Esther learned that she was expecting a baby, and since a branch is not set up for parents with children, we decided to move to Denmark, where Father welcomed us to stay with him. Esther cared for both our daughter, Rakel, and my father, while I helped out with work in the newly built branch office. I served as an instructor for the Kingdom Ministry School for congregation overseers and also continued to serve as a zone overseer. 

The zone work meant extended periods of travel, which unfortunately resulted in long absences from our daughter.  That had its consequences. I once spent some time in Paris, where we established a small printery. Esther and Rakel came by train to see me and arrived at the Gare du Nord. Leopold Jontes from the branch and I went there to meet them. Rakel stood on a step of the railroad car, looked at Leopold, then at me, and back at Leopold again, and then threw her arms around Leopold! 

Another dramatic change occurred when, at 45 years of age, I left the full-time ministry to earn a wage to support my family. With  my experience as a minister of Jehovah's Witnesses, I was able to obtain employment as an export manager. After I had worked  for the same company for about nine years and Rakel had finished school, we decided to respond to the encouragement to move to where the need for Kingdom preachers was greater.

Surveying the opportunities in Norway, I asked at an agency about the possibility of a job. The answer was not encouraging.  There was very little hope for a 55-year-old man.  Still, I contacted the branch office in Oslo and then rented a house near the town of Drobak, trusting that an employment opportunity would present itself. One did, and a time of very enjoyable Kingdom service in Norway followed.  

The best times were when most in our congregation took trips north unassigned territory.  We rented cottages at a camping site, and every day we made calls at scattered farms in the glorious mountains. It was sheer pleasure to tell these friendly people about God's Kingdom. A lot of literature was placed, but return visits had to wait until the following year.Yet, the people did not forget us!  Esther and Rakel still remember the time when we returned and were embraced as long-lost family members. After three years in Norway, we returned to Denmark. 

Next time: LIFE STORY/A PRIVILEGED SHARE IN POSTWAR EXPANSION -The Joys of Family Life

From the Watchtower magazine, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.