3.30.2015

SUSTAINED BY CONFIDENCE IN GOD


Hiding-Yet Still Preaching

The German occupation of the Netherlands was a dangerous time for me. For not only was I  a Jew, whom Germans were putting into concentration camps, but I was also one of Jehovah's Witnesses, a religious organization that the Nazis were trying to eliminate. Yet, I remained active, spending an average of 60 hours  a month telling others of my new found Christian home. -Matthew 24:14. 

One evening in December 1942, my husband did not come home from work. As it turned out, he had been arrested at work along with his colleagues. I never saw him again.  My fellow Witnesses advise me to go into hiding with my children. I was able to stay with a Christian  sister on the other side of Amsterdam. Because it was too dangerous for the four of us to stay at the same address, I had to leave my children with others.  

I often escaped capture with the skin of my teeth. One evening a Witness was taking me to a new hiding place on his bike. However, the light on his  bike was not working,m and we were stopped by two Dutch policemen. They shone their flashlights in my face and could tell I was Jewish. Fortunately, they simply said:  "Keep going quickly-but on foot." 

Next time: SUSTAINED BY CONFIDENCE IN GOD - Arrested and Imprisoned

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.