3.31.2015

SUSTAINED BY CONFIDENCE IN GOD


Surviving the War's End 

On April 10,1945, as Allied forces approached Beendorf, we had to stand for roll call in the courtyard almost the entire day. Afterward, about 150 of us women were crammed into cattle trains, without food or water. The trains left for an unknown destination, and for days we traveled back and forth between the front lines. Some strangled their  fellow prisoners in order  to make more room in the cars, and as a result, many of the women suffered mental breakdown. What kept me going was my confidence in Jehovah's care.

One day our train stopped near a men's camp, and we were allowed to get out. A few of us were given buckets to fetch some water from the camp.  When I got to the tap, I first ha a long drink and then filled my bucket.  When I returned, the women charged at me like wild animals. All the water was knocked from the bucket.  The SS (members of Hitler's elite guard) just stood there laughing. Eleven days later, we ended up in Eidelstedt, a camp in a suburb of Hamburg. About half our group had died as a result of the rigors of the trip. 

One day while Eidelstedt, I was reading from the Bible to a few of the women. Suddenly the camp commander stood at the window. We were really frightened because the Bible was a forbidden book in the camp.  The commander came in, took the Bible, and said:  "So this is the Bible, eh?" To my great relief, he returned it saying:  "If one of the women dies, then you have to read something aloud from it." 


Next time: SUSTAINED BY CONFIDENCE IN GOD  - Reunited With Fellow Witnesses

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.