3.31.2017

HELP FOR THE FAMILY/YOUNG PEOPLE - When Children Grieve


DERRICK'S STORY

Some of the best memories I have are of fishing with my dad and camping with him in the mountains. He loved the mountains. 

My dad had heart problems for some time; I remember visiting with him in the hospital once or twice in my early childhood.  But I didn't  understand the severity of his illness.  My dad died of heart disease when I was nine years old.

After he died, I cried and cried. I felt as if I were suffocating, and I didn't want to talk to anyone.  I hadn't felt this bad in my whole life, and I didn't feel like doing anything anymore. The church youth group I was part of showed interest in me initially, but it quickly faded. People there would say things like this,  "It was your father's time" or God called him"  or He's in heaven now."  Those answers never really satisfied me, but I had no knowledge of what the Bible really teaches about those things. 

Then my mom started studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses, and later my brother and I joined her.  We learned about the condition of the dead as well as God's  comforting promise of a resurrection.  (John 5:28, 29)  But the scripture that helped me the most was  Isaiah 41:10, where God says:  "Do no be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you ."  Knowing that Jehovah was with me was a tremendous comfort during my grieving, and it still is. 

Next time: HELP FOR THE FAMILY/YOUNG PEOPLE -When Children Grieve -JEANNIE'S STORY

From the jw.org publications























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.