3.08.2017

Though Deaf and Blind, I Found Security/AS TOLD BY JANICE ADAMS


Finding the Security I Sought

Initially I feared that I would be isolated because our congregation had only two other deaf people and they were not adept at communicating with someone both deaf and blind. I could tell that our congregation was loving and warm, yet I could not at first communicate with them.  This saddened me. Many times I felt discouraged  and lonely. However, a kind act of spiritual brother or sister would touch my heart and lift my spirits.  Bill also encouraged me to persist in my ministry and to pray to Jehovah to bring more deaf people into association with the congregation.

I decided to get a guide dog so that I could be more independent. The dog also helped to dispel my feelings of isolation. When Bill was at work, I could walk to the Kingdom Hall to meet the group that met to share in the Christian ministry. Over the years I have had four guide dogs, and each has been like a member of the family. 

Although a guide dog was helpful, I longed for more human  contact. In time, Jehovah blessed  our efforts to develop interest in the Bible study among the deaf.  The interest grew to the point where a sign language congregation  was formed in Washington, D.C.  Finally, I could communicate with each member of the congregation! 

Bill qualified to serve as an elder and was appointed the presiding overseer of the sign language congregation.  I found great pleasure in conducting Bible studies  with other deaf and deaf-blind people, a number of whom are now serving Jehovah faithfully. I also tutored hearing sisters in sign language so that they could be more effective in the deaf ministry.

Next time: Though Deaf and Blind, I Found Security/AS TOLD BY JANICE ADAMS - A Time of Testing

From the jw.org publications 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.