3.08.2017

Though Deaf and Blind, I Found Security/AS TOLD BY JANICE ADAMS


I Felt Right at Home

I was very nervous as we drove to the meeting. We both wore blue jeans and flannel shirts. I was glad we arrived a little late because we did not have to interact with anyone before the meeting. Bill interpreted in detail all the things I could neither see nor hear. Although I did not fully understand what was going on, I was impressed by two things:  The speaker frequently used the Bible, and the children, who sat with their parents , actively participated in the meetings. After the meeting, far from being pressured, we were warmly welcomed, in spite of our clothing and different racial background. 

We were the only two white people in the Kingdom Hall. Although I was not aware that I had any prejudice against blacks, I was initially uncomfortable being there. However, the message of Bible truth was too compelling to let my discomfort stop me.  We started to attend the meeting regularly. Even more of a challenge for me was that there were no deaf people in that congregation.  So when we heard  about another congregation that had some deaf attending, we started to go there.  Again, at this new  congregation, we were the only whites in attendance. Yet, we were made to feel right at home.

We accepted an offer of a Bible study. Finally, I was getting answers to my questions. I did not always understand the answers right away, but they were Scriptural. With more research and meditation, I eventually got the sense of  the Bible truths. For the first time in my life, I came to feel close to Jehovah as the true God.  At the same time, Bill and I became close friends. I knew that he liked me, but I was surprised when he asked me to marry him. Happily, I said yes.  Bill was baptized shortly after our wedding, and I followed him a months later, on February 26, 1983.  

Next time: Though Deaf and Blind, I Found Security/AS TOLD BY JANICE ADAMS -Finding the Security I Sought

From the jw.org publications 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.