3.07.2017

Though Deaf and Blind, I Found Security/AS TOLD BY JANICE ADAMS


Home Again, but Problems Arise

Finally, when I was ten, my parents brought me home. I was so happy and felt so secure to be with my family!  I enrolled in a local special school in Des Moines for children with hearing loss. Eventually I was mainstreamed  into regular classes because I was a fairly good speech-reader and had developed intelligible speech. Yet, there were many  challenges with my new situation.

In the dormitory at CID, I had felt accepted by my deaf peers. But now, when I had to interact with more than one person at a time, my speech reading skills could not keep up with the fast communications. So I would be left out. I wanted so badly to be accepted! 

This led to my seeking the approval of teenage boys, which resulted in becoming  involved in compromising situations. And I didn't know  how to say no.  When I was 14, I was raped; but I told no one. Although my parents were always concerned and loving, I felt isolated and lost. 

With my hearing aids, I could enjoy music somewhat, but my choice of music was questionable. I listened to loud acid rock. I also became a regular marijuana user and withdrew more and more. I still feel deep regret when I look back on what I did during those turbulent years and on the pain it caused my family and me. 

Next time: Though Deaf and Blind, I Found Security/AS TOLD BY JANICE ADAMS - Efforts to Improve My Life

From the jw.org publications

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.