2.27.2019

When You Have a Serious Illness -HOW SOME HAVE COPED


"Face illness with your faith in God," Advised 58-year-old Robert, "and he will carry you through.  Go to Jehovah in prayer.  Let him know how you feel. Ask him for holy spirit. Ask him for strength to be strong for the family and to allow you to go through your illness with dignity.

"It means so much when your family supports you emotionally, when they are there for you.  I get phone calls every day from one or two who ask, 'How are you doing?'  I get encouragement from friends all over.  They definitely give me a boost, and that helps me to keep going."

If you are a friend visiting a sick person, not what Linda points out: "The patient no doubt wants to lead as normal a life as possible and may not always talk about the sickness.  So talk about the things you usually talk about. 

With strength from God and comfort from the Scriptures, as well as the support of loving family  and friends, we can maintain our assurance that life is well worth living , even when we are enduring a serious illness.

BIBLE VERSES THAT CAN HELP

Lean on God.  

"I inquired of Jehovah, and he answered me. He rescued me from all my fears. This lowly one called, and Jehovah heard." -PSALM 34:4, 6.

Linda, quoted earlier, says: "I never pray, 'Make me better.'  I always pray, "Help me be strong, and help me to endure my illness."

Draw strength from God's Word. 

'No resident will say 'I am sick." - ISAIAH 33:24. 

Tap into sustaining power of hope by meditating on God's promises for the future.

Seek support from family and friends.

"A true friend shows love at all times and is a brother who is born for times for distress." - PROVERBS 17:17.

"Do not isolate yourself," advises Elise, quoted earlier.  "Allow your friends to help you.  There might be times when you feel alone and you don't even think that God is listening, but do not isolate yourself." 

Next time: When You Feel You Cannot Go On

From the jw.org publications




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.