2.28.2016

HOPE For Arthritis Sufferers


Respecting Your Limitations

Getting proper rest is essential if you are an arthritis sufferer; it can minimize fatigue.  This does not mean, though, that you should drop out of life.  Timothy explains:  "You need to keep active so as not to let arthritis take you over mentally because if it does, you'll just sit there  and feel the pain." Rheumatologist  William Ginsburg of the Mayo Clinic observes:  "There's a fine line between doing too much and too little. Sometimes, people have to be reminded to slow down and listen to their disease." 

This may entail changing the way you view your limitations. Daphne, from South Africa, relates:  "I've  had to be realistic and know that my ability  to do certain things has not gone away; I just had to do them in a much slower manner. Rather than become anxious or frustrated, I simply do a little at a time." 

It is also a good idea  to become acquainted with various assistive devices that might be available, perhaps discussing these with  your doctor or physical therapist. Keiko relates: "We've installed a stair lift. Turning knobs hurt my wrist, so we changed them. Now I can open all the doors by pushing with my head. We installed  lever-type handles on all the water taps in the house so that I could at least do some of the housework."  Another arthritis sufferer name Gail says: "My car and house keys are attached  to a long handle, making it easier for me to turn them. My comb and brush are on long extensions and can be adjusted to different angles for combing and brushing." 

Next time: HOPE For Arthritis Sufferers/Family Support-"A Tower of Strength"

From the Awake! magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.