2.09.2016

RAISING ADOLESCENTS The Role of Understanding


Behind the Behavior

A youth's desire for independence is not always a sign of rebellion. Remember, the Bible acknowledges that in time, "a man will leave his father and his mother." (Genesis 2:24) To prepare for greater responsibilities in adulthood, youths need at least some experience in making decisions.  

Consider what could be behind the behavior observed by parents who were quoted in the previous article. 

Lia, in Britain, lamented:  "My son suddenly seemed more opinionated and more inclined to question our authority." 

Like little children, teenagers repeatedly ask, "Why?" Now, however, What has changed?  The apostle Paul wrote:  "When I was a babe, I used to  . . .reason as a babe." (1 Corinthians 13:11) As youths develop their ability to reason, they need more extensive explanations so that their "perceptive powers" can be trained.  -Hebrews 5:14. 

John, in Ghana, said:  "Our daughters became more self-conscious, especially about their appearance." 

Whether it occurs early, late, or right on time, the growth spurt of puberty makes many youths overly aware of how they look.  Girls may greet their new curves with excitement or with apprehension-or with a mixture of both. Add the discovery of acne-and makeup- and it is easy to see why teens may seem to spend more time in front of the mirror than in front of a textbook.  

Note: Growing up and realizing all these thing for them are fine, except in my day, when I asked my mom if I could wear makeup and date, she told me that I had to wait until I was sixteen. I  knew my mother knew what was best for me and that since I was a Minor, in other words underage, that she was the boss and I needed to listen to her.   I respected her enough to do that and so should all the other teenagers.   When I turned sixteen, I not only did not want to wear makeup after all, but I did not date very much for awhile.  My dad was strict and though sometimes, when I thought it was unfair, I knew that I needed to listen to him, the same as I did my mother because I was underage. 

Next time: RAISING ADOLESCENTS The Role of Understanding / Conclusion of Behind the Behavior

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.