2.10.2016

RAISING ADOLESCENTS The Role of Wisdom


Learning From a Bible Example

Evidently, as a preteen, Jesus was granted a measure of independence by his parents, but he did not abuse the trust that was accorded him. On the contrary, he "continued subject" to his parents as he "went on progressing in wisdom and in physical growth and in favor with God and  men." -Luke 2:51, 52. 

As a parent, you can learn from this example and grant your young ones increased freedom as they show themselves capable of handling it. Note what some parents have to say about their experiences in this regard. 

"I use to interfere with my children's activities far too much. Later, I taught them principles and let them make decisions according to what they had learned. After that, I noticed that they began weighing their decisions more carefully." -Soo Hyun, Korea.  

"My husband and I are always a bit apprehensive, but we have not let this keep our children from exercising in a responsible way the freedom that they have rightly earned." -Daria, Brazil.

"I have found it important to praise my teenage son for the good way he uses his independence that I grant him. I also do what I ask him to do.  For example, I tell him where I am going and what I am doing. If I'm running late, I let him know." -Anna, Italy

"In our home we emphasize that independence isn't something our sons are entitled to but something they have to prove they can be trusted with." -Peter, Britain. 

Next time: RAISING ADOLESCENTS The Role of Wisdom/Bearing the Consequences

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.