8.29.2014

A Persistent Fellow


In early 1967, at work, I met Jim, a very humble and kind man, Jim always seemed to have a smile on his face, and he never turned down an invitation to take a coffee break with me. He used these opportunities to share information from the Bible with me. Jim told me that he had been studying with Jehovah's Witnesses. 

I was shocked to hear that Jim had become involved with this religious group. How was it possible for such a nice person to fall victim to the sect of the antichrist?  However, I could not resist Jim''s personal interest in me and his kindness. It seemed that every day he had something different for me to read. For example, one day he came to my office and said:  "Isidoros, this article in the Watchtower talks about strengthening family life.  Take it home, and read it with your wife."  I told him I would read the issue, but later I went to the restroom and tore the magazine in small pieces and threw them in the trash bin. 

For three years, I destroyed every book and magazine that Jim gave  me. Being prejudiced against Jehovah's Witnesses, yet trying to keep Jim as my friend, I thought it best to listen to what he had to say and then dismiss it immediately.  From those discussions, however, I saw that most of the things i believed and practiced were not based on the Bible. I realized that the teachings of Trinity, hellfire, and immortality of the soul were not scriptural. (Ecclesiastes 9:10; Ezekiel 18:4; John 20:17)  As a proud Greek Orthodox, I did not want to admit openly that Jim was right. But since he always used the Bible and never gave his personal opinion, I finally recognized  that this man had a valuable message from the Bible for me. 

My wife seemed that something was happening, and she asked if I had spoken with my friend who was associated and the Witnesses. When I answered yes, she said:  "Let's go to any other church but Jehovah's Witnesses."  Soon, however, my wife and I, along with our children, were regularly attending meetings of the Witnesses. 

Next time: A Tough Decision

From the Watchtower magazine, 2000 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.