8.29.2014

New Life in the United States


Life in the United States was difficult for an immigrant who did not know the language and who had no money. I worked two jobs at night and struggled  to go to school during the day. I attended several colleges and earned an associate degree.  Then I went to the University of California at Los Angeles and earned a bachelor of science degree in applied physics.  The words of my father about getting an education kept me going during these difficult years.  

About this time, I met a lovely Greek girl, Ekaterini, and we were married in 1964.  our first son was born three years later, and in less than four years, we had two more sons and a daughter. It was indeed challenging to support a  family and at the same time study at the university. 

I was working for the U.S. Air Force at a missile and space company in Sunnyvale, California. I was involved with a variety of air and space projects, including the Agena and Apollo programs. I even received medals for my contribution  to the Apollo 8 and Apollo 11 missions. After that, I continued my education and became heavily involved  in various military space projects. At this point, I though I had it all-a lovely wife, four wonderful children, a prestigious job, and a nice house.  

Next time: A Persistent Fellow

From the Watchtower magazine, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.