8.19.2014

"Decently and by Arrangement"


Another helpful principle is found at Luke 14:28, where it says:  "Circulate the expense."  Yes, try to figure out what your living expenses will be. how much will have to go for rent? Food? Utilities?  Will you share a telephone?  If so, how will you split the bill?  "I would definitely make sure that girl can handle her share of expenses before taking her as a roommate," says Lynn.  The on-line magazine The Next Step rightly observes:  "Roommates who don't kick in for rent or food . . .or incur high utility bills give you stress that no one needs." 

"Sometime the issue is not how much," says Renee, "but when!"  She explains:  "Our rent is due on the third of the month.  But sometimes a roommate will take off for the weekend before she has paid her share, and I have to apologize to our landlord."  Clearly, it's wise to do everything "decently and by arrangement" and not leave important matters to chance.  (1 Corinthians 14:40)  Often, it is wise to put agreements in writing. 

Being careful and prudent increases the likelihood of your finding a roommate who will be a blessing to you and not a source of distress. However, what if problems and personality conflicts develop? A future article will discuss these situations.  


 Note: Well, I thank God that I am at this time able to live in an apartment that I can afford, because there is not a snow ball's chance in Hades that I would think about having a roommate. It is just too hard to deal with and I am a private person and enjoy the privacy and the fact that I am very practical and pay everything on time and If I have to go without something in order to pay rent or a utility bill or food, then I would. Entertainment is not on my priority list.  A roof over my head is, utilities is, food is, doctor appointment is. Other than God, there is nothing more important. Yes, at one time just 3 years ago, I had not just a roommate, but a best friend and we both agreed on the priority thing.  And we got along well. I had worked with him for awhile and got to know him well and we became lifelong friends, (just friends)  But, if I had to do it again. I would not, especially if it was a woman. I do not trust anyone, but God.

Next time: "The Scene of This World Is Changing"

From the Awake! magazine, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.