11.15.2019

How to Be Resilient - HOW TO TEACH RESILIENCE


When your child receives constructive criticism.

BIBLE PRINCIPLE:  Listen to counsel . . .  in order to become wise in your future." -PROVERBS 19:20.

Constructive criticism  is not bullying; it is guidance that addresses  an action or an attitude that needs to change. 

When you teach your child to accept correction, both of you are spared much grief.  "If children are always rescued from their errors," says a father named John, "they will never learn. They will jump from one problem to the next, and you will spend your life following them, stomping out the fires that they cause.  That makes life miserable for the parents and for the child. 

How can you  help your child benefit from constructive criticism?  When your child receives it-whether at school or anywhere else-resist the urge to say that the correction is unfair. Instead, you could ask: 

* "Why do you think the correction was given?"

* "How can you improve."

* "What will you do the next time you are in the situation?"

Remember, constructive criticism will serve your child well, not only  now but also in adulthood.

TRAIN NOW

A child who is able to bounce back from disappointments and mistakes is more likely to persevere when learning skills and to become proficient at them.

Teach by Example

* Do I admit my mistakes, or do I blame others?

* Do I talk about my failures and what I learned from them?

* Do I ridicule others for their mistakes?

What We Did . . . 

"We did not protect  our child from every challenge, failure, or  mistake.  When I was young, enduing those things made me a better person. I feel that both of our children grew up to be balanced, well-adjusted adults because they were not pampered." - Jeff.

"When my wife and I made mistakes with our children, we would always apologize.  I believe that my parents should share their mistakes, setbacks, and errors with  their children to emphasize that it's just part of life." - James.

Next time: How to Be Responsible -WHAT DOES BEING RESPONSIBLE INVOLVE?

From the jw,org publications
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.