2.03.2020

Keys to Family Happiness/ WHEN YOUR ADOLESCENT QUESTIONS YOUR FAITH - Be Patient!



Talking to your adolescent might require  the utmost patience on your part.  But the payoff-building trust-is  worth it. One teenage girl relates:  "In one night's discussion, I told my dad that I secretly had a social network page and a boyfriend and that I wanted to run away.  He stayed so calm as he talked the whole thing with me!  I don't know another dad who could just sit there and not start yelling at his daughter when he found out she had kissed a guy and was texting him nonstop. I feel like I can tell my dad anything.  I know he truly wants to help me.

In time, many young ones learn that if they confront the issue that is impeding their spiritual growth, they will usually feel better about themselves and their family. Consider Ramon, the young man quoted earlier who cringed at the thought of identifying himself as a Christian at school.  Eventually, Ramon found that speaking up about his faith  was not as traumatic as he imagined it would be - even when it resulted in ridicule. He relates: 

"On one occasion a boy at school was poking fun at me because of my religion. I got really nervous, and I sensed that the whole class was listening.  Then I decided to turn the discussion around and ask him about his faith. To my surprise, he was even more nervous than I was! Then I realized that many young people  have religious beliefs, but they don't understand them. At least I can explain my beliefs.  Really, when it comes to talking about faith, my classmates should be the ones who feel awkward-not me !" 

TRY THIS: Draw out your adolescent by asking him how he feels about being a Christian. In is own view, what are the benefits? What are the costs?  Do the benefits outweigh the costs?  If son, how? (Mark  10:29, 30) Your adolescent could write down his thoughts on paper using two columns-the left-hand once for the costs and the right-hand one for the benefits. Seeing his assessment on paper may help your adolescent to identify  his problem and work out a solution. 

Next time: Keys to Family Happiness/WHEN YOUR ADOLESCENT QUESTIONS YOUR FAITH - Your Adolescent's "Power of Reason"

From the jw.org publications
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.