2.02.2020

Keys to Family Happiness/WHEN YOUR ADOLESCENT QUESTIONS YOUR FAITH - DECEIVED?


Myth:Parents who are Jehovah's Witnesses force their children to follow their faith.

Fact: Witness parents strive to inculcate love for God in their offspring, just as the Bible commands them to.  (Ephesians 6:4)  Nevertheless, they realize that when a child  becomes an adult, he or she will make a personal choice with regard to worship. - ROMANS 14:12; GALATIANS 6:5.

Note: They are not suppose to force their children or anyone else to specifically chose just any religion or got to church at all. Jehovah does not want anyone forced to worship him.

Be Discerning

First, try to discern what factors might be contributing to your adolescent's view. For example: 

* Does he feel lonely and friendless in the Christian congregation?  

"Because I wanted friends, I got close to several schoolmates, and it hindered by spiritual growth for  years. I lost interest in spiritual things, for the most part because of bad associations, and now I have many regrets." - Lenore, 19.

Does he lack self-confidence, making it difficult for him to speak about his faith? 

"When I was in school, I was hesitant to share my beliefs with my classmates. I was afraid that they would view me as weird or as a 'Bible boy' any kinds who were different were rejected, and I didn't want that to  happen to me.' - Ramon, 23.

* Does he feel overwhelmed by the responsibility of living up to Christian standards? 

"I feel as if the Bible's  promise of everlasting life were at the top of a big stairway, and I am not even on the  steps; I am far, far away from them.  The fear of getting on the stairway has been so big that I have considered giving up my faith." -Renee, 16.

Next time: Keys to Family Happiness/WHEN YOUR ADOLESCENT QUESTIONS YOUR FAITH - Talk It Out

From the jw.org publications























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.