3.28.2016

How to Comfort Someone Who Is Grieving


Conclusion of Comforting Those Who Mourn

Consider the example of Kaori, a young Japanese woman who was devastated by the loss of her mother followed by the loss of her older sister 15 months later. Thankfully, she received ongoing support from loyal friends. One named Ritsuko is much older than Kaori and offered to be her close friend.  "To be honest," says Kaori,  "I wasn't happy about that.  I didn't want anyone to take the place of my mother, and I didn't think that anyone could.  However, because of the way Mama Ritsuko treated me, I can to feel close to her. Every week, we  went out in the evangelizing work together and went to Christian meetings together.  She invited me to have tea with her, brought me meals, and wrote me letters and cards many times. Mama Ritsuko's positive attitude had a good influence on me." Twelve years have passed since Kaori's mother died, and today she and her husband are full-time evangelizers.   "Mama Ritsuko," Kaori says, "continues to show her concern.  When I go back home, I always visit her and enjoy her upbuilding association."

Another example of someone who benefited from ongoing support is Poli, one of Jehovah's Witnesses in Cyprus. Poli had a kind husband, Sozos, who set a good example as  a Christian shepherd by often inviting orphans and widows to their home for association and a meal.  (James 1:27) Sadly, at the age of 53 Sozo's died of a brain tumor.   "I lost my loyal husband with whom I had spent 33 years of marriage," says Poli. 

After the funeral, Poli moved to Canada with her youngest son, 15 -year-old Daniel. There, they began association with a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.   "The friends in my new congregation," recalls Poli,  "did not know anything about  our past and difficult circumstances. But that did not stop them from approaching us and embracing us with their kind words and practical help.   How precious  that help was, especially at that time, when my son needed his father most!  Those taking the lead int he congregation showed a great deal of personal  interest in Daniel. One in particular made sure to include Daniel when enjoying association with friends or when going out to play ball."  Both mother and son are doing well today.

To be sure, there are many ways we can offer practical help and comfort to those who mourn.  The Bible also comforts  us by means of a thrilling hope for the future. 

Next time: The Dead Will Rise! - The Dead Will Live Again!

From The Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.