3.27.2016

When a Loved One Dies


Conclusion of Dealing With Your Grief

If you are plagued by such feelings of guilt and anger, it is more important not to bottle up these emotions. Rather, speak to a friend who will listen and reassure you that such irrational feelings are common to many bereaved ones.  The Bible reminds us:  "A true friend shows love at all times, and is a brother who is born for times of distress." -Proverbs 17:17.

The best Friend a bereaved person can have is our Creator, Jehovah God. Pour out your heart to him in prayer because "he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) Moreover, he promises that all who do so will have their thoughts and feelings soothed by "the peace of God that surpasses all understanding." (Philippians 4:6, 7) Also, allow God to help you heal by means of his consoling Word, the Bible.  Make a list of comforting scriptures.  You may even want to memorize  a few of them. Having such thoughts to ponder over by be especially helpful at night when you are alone and find it hard to sleep. -Isaiah 57:15. 

Recently, a 40-year-old man, whom we will call Jack, lost his beloved wife to cancer.  Jack says that at time he feels intense loneliness. But he has found help in prayer.  "When I pray to Jehovah," he explains, "I never feel alone. I often wake up during the night and cannot get back to sleep. After reading and meditating on comforting thoughts from the Scriptures and then pouring out my feelings of my heart in prayer, I sense a calmness and a transcending peace come over me, putting my mind and heart at rest and enabling me to sleep." 

A young woman named Vanessa lost her mother to illness. She too has experienced the power of prayer.   "In my most difficult times," she says, "I would just call on God's name and break down in tears.  Jehovah listened to my prayers and always  gave me the strength I needed."

Some bereavement counselors advise those who are struggling with grief to get involved in helping others to volunteer their time in some community service.  Doing so can bring joy and may ease a person's grief.  (Acts 20:35) Many bereaved Christians have found that working to help others has brought them great comfort. -2 Corinthians 1:3, 4. 

Next time: How to Comfort Someone Who Is Grieving-Comforting Those Who Mourn

From The Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.