12.29.2020

YOUNG PEOPLE ASK/ Do Manners Really Matter?

 

How to improve.


1. Take 'a manners inventory.'  Ask yourself such questions as:  Do I address adults respectfully?  How often do I say "please."  "thank you," or "excuse me"?  Am I distracted when talking with others -perhaps even reading and reponding to text messages?  Do I treat my  parents and siblings with respect, or do I take liberties just because "they're family"? 


The Bible says: "In showing honor to one another, take the lead." -ROMANS 12:10.


2. Set goals.  Write down three areas in which you could improve.  For example, 15-year-old Allison says that she needs "to be a good listener rather than a good talker."  David , 19, says he needs to work on not texting while with family or friends."  "Its disresctful," he says.  "I'm basically tell ing them that I would rather talk to someone else than talk to them."  Edward, 17, says  that he needs to stop interrupting others, as they speak. And Jennifer, quoted earlier, had resolved to work on her manners with elderly ones.  "I uses to say a quick "hello"  and then find a reason to move on to my young friends," she says.  But now I've made an effort to get to know them. It has helped me to improve my manners a lot!" 


The Bible says: "Look out no only for your own interests, but also for the interest of others. - PHILIPPIANS 2:4.


3. Monitor your progress.  For a month, track your speech or conduct in the areas in which you want improvement.  At the end of the month ask yourself: "How has my being mannerly made me a better person?  In what areas do I still need to improve?  Set new goals accordingly.  


The Bibld says: "Do unto others as you would themt to do unto you." - LUKE 6:31.


DId you know?  What is considered mannerly in one land could be considered rude in another.  For example, in Japan it is customary for people to remove their shoes before entering a home.  In other lands, theat gesture might be considered impolite. What manners are expected where you live?


WHAT YOUR PEERS SAY


Selena


"When you show good manners, that's usually the first thing people notice-and appreciate.  You'll also feel good about yourself because you know that you are doing he right thing.


Megan


"If you're unmannerly, people won't take you seriously.  But if you act considerately,  people will treat you with the same respect that you show them."


Next time: YOUNG PEOPLE ASK /Why Should I Help Others? 


From the jw.org publications

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.