1.22.2015

HOW THE BIBLE CHANGED MY LIFE


HOW THE BIBLE CHANGED MY LIFE:

My faith in God was shattered in 2002. We had just immigrated to Germany when, only a week later, my father suffered a stroke and fell into a coma. For years I had prayed for the health and well-being of my family. Convinced that the Almighty alone has power over life and death, I pleaded every day for the life of my dad. I thought, 'It is a small thing for God to fulfill a little girl's heartfelt wish.'  I was sure he would grant my entreaties.  But my father died.  

Aghast at God's seeming indifference, I was devastated.  'Either I am praying the wrong way,' I reasoned, 'or God dies not exist.' I was stunned and unable to pray namaz anymore. Other religions did not make sense to me, so I concluded that there is no God. 

Six months later, Jehovah's Witnesses called at our door. Since we did not think highly of Christianity, my sister and I wanted to show them politely that they were wrong. We asked them:  "How can Christians  worship Jesus, the cross, Mary, and other idols when that is against the Ten Commandments?"  From the Scriptures the Witnesses  showed us convincing  proof that idol worship is forbidden for true Christians and that prayers  should be directed exclusively to God. That astounded me.

Then we asked:  "What about the Trinity?  If Jesus is God, how could he live on earth and be killed by humans?" Again, the answered with the Bible and explained that Jesus is neither God nor equal to Him.  The Witnesses explained that for this reason, they do not believe in the Trinity. I was astounded and thought, 'These are really strange Christians. 

Still, I wanted to know why people die and why God allows suffering. The Witnesses showed me the book Knowledge that Leads to Everlasting Life, which contained  entire chapters that addressed my questions.  They immediately started a Bible study  with me.


During each study session, I found sensible Bible-based answers to my questions. I came to know that God's name is Jehovah.  (Psalm 83:18)  His main quality is unselfish love.  (1 John 4:8) He created humans because he wanted  to share the gift of life. I came to understand that  although God permits injustice, he detests it and will soon remove it forever.  I learned that the rebellion of Adam and Eve has been detrimental  to mankind.  (Romans 5:12) Among the sad consequences is the death of beloved ones, such as my father. However, God will undo such tragedies in a coming new world, where those who have died will return to life. -Acts 24:15. 

Bible truth satisfied my thirst for answers. I started to believe in God again. As i got to know Jehovah's Witnesses better, I realized that they are a worldwide brotherhood. The unity and love among them impressed me.  (John 13:34, 35) What I learned about Jehovah moved me to want to serve him, so I decided to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I was baptized on January 8, 1005. 

Next time: HOW I HAVE  BENEFITED

From the Watchtower magazine, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.