2.11.2015

Conclusion of How To Tame Your Temper



WHAT YOU CAN DO

Make a goal. Instead of saying, "That's just the way I am," strive to improve within a specified time period-perhaps six months. During that period, keep a record of your progress. Each time you lose your temper, write down (1) what  happened, (2) how you reacted, and (3) how you could have reacted better-and why.  Then make it your goal to use that better reaction the next time you are provoked. Tip: Keep track of your successes too! Write about how good you feel after showing self-control. -Bible principle: Colossians 3:8. 

Wait before reacting.  When someone or something angers you, do not say the first thing that comes to your mind. Instead, wait. Take a deep breath if necessary. "When I breathe," says 15-year-old Erik, "it gives me time to think before I do or say something I will later regret." -Bible principle: Proverbs 21:23. 

Expand your view. Sometimes you might become angry because you see only one aspect of the issue-the part that affects you. Try to consider the other side of the story.   "Even when people are downright rude," says a young woman named Jessica,  "there's usually an explanation that can help me show a little understanding." -Bible principle: Proverbs 19:11. 

If necessary, walk away.  The Bible says:  "Before the quarrel breaks out, take your leave." (Proverbs 17:14)  As that scripture indicates, sometimes it is best simply to walk away from a volatile situation. Then, rather than stewing over the matter and letting your anger build even more, get active.  "I find that exercise can relieve my stress and keep me from losing my temper," says a young woman named Danielle. 

Learn to let go.  The Bible says:  "Be agitated, but do not sin. Have your say in your heart, . . .and keep silent."  (Psalm 4:4) Note that there is nothing wrong with feeling agitated. The question is, What will happen next:  "If you allow others to provoke you," says a young man named Richard,  "It gives them power over you.  Why not try to be mature and overlook the matter?"  If you do, you will be controlling your anger rather than letting your anger control you. 

Next time: "I Refuse to Dwell On My Illness"

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.