2.16.2015

STEP-FAMILY SUCCESS PROFILES/NO LONGER JUST HOUSEMATES


Philip's 20-year-old daughter, Elise, was living at home and had taken on many household duties. After Philip married Louise, could stepmother and stepdaughter build a good relationship?

Louise: We had a very hard time at first. I am a homebody and wanted to ensure that I was the housewife.

Elise: Louise reorganized the house and threw out a lot of our stuff. I tidied up once but put some things in the wrong place, since I didn't  know where they went anymore.  This upset Louise, she and I said some angry words, and I couldn't speak to her for a week. 

Louise: At one point, I told Elise, "I don't know where we go from here, but I can't live in this atmosphere." She came to me later that evening and apologized. I gave her a hug, and we both cried. 

Elise:  Louise left some pictures of mine hanging on the wall, and Dad did not remove the lights that I put in the living room. It may sound petty, but their leaving these things really helped me to feel that my home had not completely disappeared. I am also grateful for the way Louise looks after my little brother  when he's with us.   It's been two years now, and I am starting to think of her as a real member of the family.

Louise: I feel that rather than being just housemates, Elise and I are now also good friends. 

Next time: STEP-FAMILY SUCCESS PROFILES/"UNITY IS MORE IMPORTANT" 

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.