5.16.2014

ADJUST AS YOU AGE



As the years roll by, you will find that  you cannot do all that you used to or all that you want to.  How does one come to terms with the aging process?  In your mind you may feel 30 yeas old, but a glance in the mirror betrays a different reality.  Do not be discouraged.  The psalmist beseeched Jehovah:  "Do not throw me away in the time of old age; just when my power is failing, do not leave me."   Make it your resolve  to imitate the psalmist's determination. He said:  "I shall wait constantly, and I will add to all your praise." -Psalm 71:9, 14. 

Many have prepared in advance to increase their praise to Jehovah after retirement from secular work.  "I planned ahead what I would do when our daughter left school," explains one father who is now retired.  "I determined that I would start in the full-time ministry, and I sold my business in order to be free to serve Jehovah more fully.  I prayed for God's direction."  If you are nearing the age of retirement, draw comfort from the declaration of our Grand Creator:  "Even to one's old age I am the same One, and to one's grayheadedness I myself shall keep bearing up." -Isaiah 46:4. 

Adapting to retirement from secular work may not be easy.  The apostle Paul counseled aged men to be "moderate in habits."  This calls for general restraint, not giving in to the inclination to seek a life of ease.  There may be an even greater need for a routine and self-discipline after retirement than before.  Be busy, then, "always having plenty to do in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in connection with the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15:58) Widen out your activities to help others.  ( 2 Corinthians 6:13)  Many Christians do this by zealously preaching the good news at an adjusted pace. As you grow older, be "healthy in faith, in love, in endurance." -Titus 2:2. 

Next time: HANDLING THE LOSS OF YOUR SPOUSE

From the book: THE SECRET OF FAMILY HAPPINESS,  1996

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.