12.22.2016

Blessings Greater Than Riches/A Lesson Often Painfully Learned



"Once above the poverty line," noted a thoughtful observer,  "increase in income have surprisingly little relation to personal happiness."  Early in the last century, a reporter had that lesson impressed upon him when interviewing Andrew Carnegie, a pioneer of the steel industry, who was then one of the richest men in the world.  "I am not to be envied," Carnegie told him.  "How can my wealth help me?  I am sixty years old, and I cannot digest my food. I would give all my millions if I could have youth and health."

The reporter then added:  "Mr. Carnegie suddenly turned, and in a hushed voice and with bitterness and with depth of feeling quite indescribable, said,  'If I could make Faust's  bargain I would. I would gladly sell anything to have my life over again." Another multimillionaire, oil magnate, J. Paul Getty, later said in agreement:  "Money doesn't necessarily  have any connection with happiness. Maybe with unhappiness."

You may well agree with the Bible writer who requested:"Give me neither poverty nor riches.  let me devour the food prescribed for me, that I may not become satisfied and I actually deny you and say: 'Who is Jehovah?' and that I may not come to poverty and I actually steal and assail the name of my God." -Proverbs 30:8, 9.

King Solomon of ancient Israel explained:  "I became greater  and increased more than anyone that happened to be before me in Jerusalem." Yet, he added: "Everything was vanity and a striving after the wind."  Solomon also stated:  "The blessing of Jehovah-that is what makes rich, and he adds no pain with it." -Ecclesiastes 2:9-11; 5:12, 13; Proverbs 10:22. 

Next time:Blessings Greater Than Riches/The Way to Everlasting Blessings

From the jw.org publications

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.