12.24.2016

What Makes a Good Friend?


Conclusion of 3. Have Realistic Expectations


WHAT PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A FRIEND

Samuel:  "We often have higher expectations of others than we have of ourselves.  If we recognize our own mistakes and our own need for forgiveness, then we're more willing to forgive others." 

Daniel:   "Accept the fact that your friends will make mistakes.  When problems arise, we do well to resolve them quickly and try hard to forget."

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?

"We all stumble many times. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able to bridle also his whole body."  (James 3:2)  Recognizing this simple truth can help  us to be understanding toward our friends.  That, in turn, will allow us to overlook major  faults and shortcomings that may irritate us.  The Bible says:  "Continue putting up with one another freely even if anyone has a cause for complaint against another. . . . But besides all these things, clothe yourselves with love, for it is  a perfect bond of union." -Colossians 3:13, 14. 

4. Widen Your Circle of Friends

True, we need to be selective about the people we befriend.  But that does not mean narrowing our choice of friends to those of a certain age or upbringing.  Taking an interest in people of all ages, cultural backgrounds, and nationalities can truly enrich our lives. 

WHAT PEOPLE LOOK FOR IN A FRIEND

Unai:  "Making friends with only those who are your age and have the same  tastes as  you is like wearing clothing in your favorite color all the time. No matter how much you like that color, at some point you end up getting bored with it."

Note: No, what bores me is a person whom I have nothing in common with and also the fact that when I go visit them, I expect them to talk to me, rather than be rude and watch TV and ignore me most of the time I am there, which is why I do not go to visit her much.  We have very, very little in common.  When someone comes to see me. I either mute the TV or shut it off and devote my time to listen to them and what they have to say.  I would rather have a friend who likes me for me, and not only  what I can do for them.  The people here where I live expect something in return for what they give me. I am not like that. When I give something to someone I don't expect anything in return.  I could care less, I would just like to have a friend that I can tell my deepest feelings to or secrets if I had any and not be repeated to the whole bloody neighborhood. You see, here, someone had me having a heart attack and they never see me or rarely talk to me. I don't know who it was, and I don't care, except for the fact that whoever it is, has not known me or come around me enough to know anything about me. There are no true friends here in my neighborhood that I can actually count on for anything. If you don't give these people something to talk about, they will make something up. Been a victim of that!


Funke:  ""Widening my circle of friends has given  me the opportunity to mature as a person. I've learned to get along with people of all ages and backgrounds, and that has me   more outgoing and adaptable. And my friends really appreciate that."

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?

"So in response-I speak to my children-you too open your hearts wide." (2 Corinthians 6:13) The Bible encourages us to reach out to people of all kinds. This inclusive, impartial view of friendship can add variety to life, as well  as endear you to others. 

Next time: HELP FOR THE FAMILY/MARRIAGE-How to Strengthen Commitment

From the jw.org publications 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.