2.19.2017

An End to Domestic Violence


What Bible principles helped you to change? 

Troy: There are so many. At 1 Peter, the Bible says that I should show my wife "honor." Galatians 5:23 encourages "mildness" and "self-control."  Ephesians condemns  "abusive speech."  Hebrews 4:13 says that "all things are . . . openly exposed" to God. So God sees my conduct, even if my neighbors do not. I also learned that I needed to change my associates, since "bad associations spoil useful habits."  ( 1 Corinthians 15:33) You see, my former friends actually encouraged  my violent ways.  They felt it was right to beat a woman to keep her "under control." 

How do you feel about your marriage now?

Valerie:  It has been 25 years since Troy became  one of  Jehovah's Witnesses. Since then, he has been genuinely loving, kind, and considerate toward me.

Troy:  I cannot change the evil that I brought my family , and my wife certainly never deserved the treatment I gave her. But I look forward to the fulfillment of Isaiah 65:17, when this dark part of our history will fade from memory.  

What advice would each of you give to families that are afflicted with domestic violence?

Troy: If you are physically or verbally violent toward your family, admit that you need help, and get it. There is plenty of help available.  For me, studying the Bible with Jehovah's Witnesses and associating with them helped me to overcome my deeply entrenched violent tendencies. 

Valerie:  Do not be quick to compare your situation with that of anyone else or to follow  advice from people who thing they know what is best for you. Although not everyone will have the same outcome, I am glad that I did not throw my marriage away, because we have been blessed with a good relationship now. 

Next time: An End to Domestic Violence - ENDING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

From the jw.org publications 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.