2.24.2017

Family Happiness/When a Spouse Has a Chronic Illness


When a Spouse Has Special Needs

Since I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, my husband has had to do all the secular work.  But he never talks to me about our bills.  Why does he leave me completely in the dark like this?  Our finances must be in such bad shape that he knows I'll panic if I find out. -Nancy.

MARRIAGE can be a challenge, but when one mate becomes chronically ill while the other remains healthy, complications can multiply.  Are you caring for an infirm mate?  If so, do any of the following questions worry you; 'How will I cope  if my mate's health declines even further?  How long  an I continue to take care of my mate and also do all the cooking, cleaning, and secular work?  Why do I feel guilty for being the healthy one?

On the other hand, if you are the ailing spouse, you might wonder: "How can I respect myself when I'm unable to carry my responsibility?  Does my mate resent  me for being sick?  Is our happiness  as a couple over?' 

Sadly, some marriages have not survived the strain caused by a chronic illness. Yet, this does not mean that your marriage is doomed to failure. 

Many couples survive and even thrive despite the presence of a chronic ailment.  Consider, for example, Yoshiaki and Kazuko.  A spinal injury rendered Yoshiaki unable to  make even the slightest movement without assistance.  Kazuko explains:  'My husband needs assistance with everything.  As a result of caring for him, my neck, shoulders, and  arms ache, and I am an outpatient at an orthopedic hospital, Kazuko says:  "Our bond as a  couple has become stronger." 

Next time: Continue with When a Spouse Has Special Needs

From the jw.org publications 




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.