11.07.2015

COVER SUBJECT: Why Do People Pray?


PRAYER What It Can Do for You

Before you embark on any endeavor, you might naturally wonder. 'What's in it for me?'  Is it selfish, though, to ask this about prayer?  Not necessarily. We naturally want to know whether it does any good. Even the good man Job once asked: "If I call out to him, will he answer me?" -Job 9:16. 

In the preceding articles, we considered evidence that prayer is far more than a religious routine or a type of mental therapy.  The true God really does listen to prayer. If we pray in the right way and for the proper things, he will pay attention. In fact, he urges us to draw close to him.  (James 4:8) So, what can we expect if we make prayer a part of our life?  Let us look at just some of the benefits. 

Peace of mind.

When problems and challenges arise in your life, do you feel overwhelmed  with anxiety?  The Bible encourages us to "pray  constantly" at times like these and to let our "petitions be made known to God." (1 Thessalonians 5:17;  Philippians 4:6)  The Bible assures us that if we turn to God in prayer, "the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard  [our] hearts and [our] mental powers." (Philippians 4:7) We can gain a measure of tranquility by pouring out our concerns to our heavenly Father.  In fact, he encourages us to do so.  "Throw your burden on Jehovah, and he will sustain you, " says Psalm 55:22. 

Countless people the world over have experienced this peace.  Hee Ran, from South Korea, says:   "Even though I have serious problems, once I pray about them, I feel relieved of the burden and I feel I have the power to endure."  Cecilia, in the Philippines, relates:  "Being a mother, I worry a lot about my daughters and my mother, who is unable to recognize me.  But because of prayer, I am able to go about my daily life with fewer worries. I know that Jehovah will help me take of them. " 

Next time: COVER SUBJECT: Why Do People Pray? - Continue  with PRAYER What It Can Do for You

From the Watchtower magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.