9.08.2016

HOW CAN PEOPLE MAKE PEACE?


NELSON, you have a warm smile and a friendly manner. At one time, though, you burned with hatred.  Correct? 

Yes! As a young man, I joined a political group in opposition to the government.  I also hated a rival politician party that was vying for control of my district. To become a better  fighter, I learned martial arts, and then I beat up anyone who upset me.

What motivated you to change?

I began to study the Bible and to apply its teachings, two of which especially touched my heart.  The first states:  "All things . . . that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them."  (Matthew 7:12)  The second reads: "You must love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)  I observed that the Witnesses who taught me the Bible, displayed that kind of love, regardless of their racial or ethnic background. I wanted to be like them.  Evidently, I succeeded, for my old acquaintances were amazed and  soon no longer feared me.

Did you ever have a relapse?

Not in public. But sometimes I struggled to control my temper at home. In fact, I once got angry and hit my wife, which I deeply regret.  She kindly forgave me, though, and this made me even more determined to master my emotions. 

You said that people stopped fearing you.  Can you give us an example?

Yes. One day I encountered a prominent member of the rival political group that I mentioned earlier, a man named Augusto. At first, he was very cautious. But i greeted him warmly, suggested that we forget our differences, and invited him to my home. He accepted my offer and was amazed  at the changes I had made-so much that he too began to study the Bible. Not Augusto and I are not just close friends but also spiritual brothers. 

"Be Peaceable With All Men"

The causes of conflict are complex and varied, and not everyone is eager to respond to overtures of peace.  Hence, the Bible offers this realistic advice:  "If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men." -Romans 12:18. 

The people mentioned in this article are living proof that the wisdom found in the Bible really works-that it has the power to overturn even  "strongly entrenched" negative attitudes when we let it.  (2 Corinthians 10:4) Concerning that wisdom, Proverbs 3:17, 18 says:  "Its ways are pleasant, and all its paths are peaceful.   It is a tree of life to those who take hold of it, and those who keep firm hold of it will be called happy."

Do you want to want to become more happy and peaceable?  Do you long for friendships that will unravel when put to the test? If so, you will not be disappointed if you allow the Bible to show you the way.

Next time: HELP FOR THE FAMILY/PARENTING -How to say NO

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.