9.19.2016

IS THE BIBLE RELEVANT TODAY?/TAILOR-MADE AND TIMELESS VALUES


LOVE

BIBLE PRINCIPLE:  "Clothe yourselves with love, for it is a perfect bond of union." -Colossians 3:14. 

THE BENEFITS: The love predominately mentioned in the Bible is not the romantic or sexual kind. Rather, it is the principled love characterized by such qualities as compassion, forgiveness, humility, loyalty, kindness, mildness, and patience.   (Micah 6:8; Colossians 3:12, 13)  Unlike romantic infatuation, which usually fades with time, love can keep growing indefinitely.

Brenda, who has been married for nearly 30 years, says:  "The love newlyweds have for each other is nothing compared to the love you have as a marriage grows through time." 

Same, a husband for over 12 years, observed:  "My wife and I have always been  delighted-even surprised-at how effective Bible  counsel is, and how simple!  You apply it, and things go smoothly.  However, as much as I want to say that I always apply it, on occasion I haven't, such as when I am feeling overly sensitive, a bit selfish, or tired.  At those times, I ask Jehovah to help me dispel any negative feelings. Then I give my wife a big hug, and before long, it's like nothing unpleasant happened!"

Jesus Christ said that "wisdom is vindicated by its results."  (Matthew 11:19) In the light of that truth, the Bible has all the hallmarks of genuine wisdom. Its teachings and values work.  They are timeless.  They transcend culture and nationality.  And they reflect such deep insight into human nature that they point to a higher Source-our Creator, Jehovah God.  The proof, of course, is in the application. Hence, the Bible invites us to "taste and see that Jehovah is good." (Psalm 34:8) Will you accept that invitation? 

 Next time: WISDOM THAT PROTECTS

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.