9.20.2016

INTERVIEW/ANTONIO DELLA GATTA


Why a Priest Left His Church

AFTER studying in Rome for nine years, Antonio Della Gatta was ordained as a priest in 1969.  Later, he served as the rector, or head, of a seminary near Naples, Italy. While there, after much study and meditation, he concluded that the Catholic religion is not based on the Bible.  He spoke with Awake! about his spiritual journey. 

Please tell us about your childhood.

I was born in Italy in 1 943. I grew up with my brothers and sisters in a small village where my father was a farmer and a carpenter. Our parents raised us to be good Catholics.

Why did you want to become a priest?

As a boy, I loved listening to the priests in church. I was enchanted by their voices, as well as the impressive rituals.  So my heart was set on becoming a priest.   When I was 13 years of age, my mother took me to a boarding school that prepared boys for future, more-advanced studies  for the priesthood.

Did your training involve Bible study?

Not really, when I was 15, one of my teachers gave me a copy of the Gospels-the historical accounts of Jesus' life and ministry-and I read the book several times. When I was 18, I went to Rome to study in the pontifical universities, which are directly  under the pope's authority.  I studied Latin, Greek, history, philosophy, and theology. Although we recited verses from the Bible and heard Bible readings in Sunday sermons, we did not actually study the Bible.  

You became a rector. Did that involve teaching? 

My work was mainly administrative.  But I did teach classes on the decrees of the Second Vatican Council. 

Next time: INTERVIEW/ANTONIO DELLA GATTA - C onclusion of Why a Priest Left His Church

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.