9.18.2016

IS THE BIBLE RELEVANT TODAY?/TAILOR-MADE AND TIMELESS VALUES


SELF-CONTROL 

BIBLE PRINCIPLE:  "A stupid person gives vent to all his feelings, but the wise one calmly keeps them in check." -Proverbs 29:11.

THE BENEFITS: If you were to list all the benefits of self-control, you would need reams of paper!  At the very least, this quality protects our physical health.  "A calm heart gives life [or,"health,"] to the body," the Bible says.  It also states  that "a joyful heart is good medicine."  (Proverbs 14:30; 17:22) Conversely, studies show that  people who are prone to anger and hostility increase their risk of ill health, especially cardiovascular disease.  Of course, the benefits of self-control go far beyond physical health.

Cassius, now in his 30's, recalls:  "I was quarrelsome and hot-tempered, and I often picked fights. I had very little self-respect.  But all that changed when I began to apply Bible principles.  I learned to control my temper and to cultivate humility and a forgiving spirit. Otherwise, I might have ended up in prison.  Indeed, I feel as though I have been raised from the dead!"

Next time: IS THE BIBLE RELEVANT TODAY?/TAILOR-MADE AND TIMELESS VALUES - FIDELITY

From the Awake! magazine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.