1.31.2017

YOUNG PEOPLE ASK/Am I Ready to Date?


Am I old enough to date?

* At what age, do you think, is it appropriate for a youth to start dating?

* Now ask one of your parents the same question.

Chances are, your answer is different from that of your parent. Or maybe not! You might be among the many youths who are wisely putting off dating until they're old enough to know themselves better.

That's what Danielle, 17, decided to do. She says:  "Thinking back two years ago, what I would have looked for  in a potential mate was so different from what I would look for now.  Basically, even at this point I don't trust myself to make such a decision.  When I feel that my personality has been stable for a couple of years, then I'll think about dating."


There's another reason why waiting is wise. The Bible uses the phrase "the bloom of youth" to describe the period of life when sexual feelings and romantic notions first became strong.  (1 Corinthians 7:36 )  To maintain close association with one particular member of the opposite sex while you're still in this phase can fan the flames of desire and lead to wrong conduct. 

True, that might mean little to your peers. Many of them may be all too eager to experiment with sex.  But you can-you must-rise above that kind of thinking! (Romans 12:2) After all, the Bible urges you to "flee from sexual immorality."  (1 Corinthians  6:18, New International Version)  By waiting until you're past the bloom of youth, you can "ward off calamity." -Ecclesiastes 11:10. 

Next time: YOUNG PEOPLE ASK?Am I Ready to Date? -Why wait to date?

From the jw.org publications 























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.