7.06.2015

Help for Those Who Grieve


"You Don't Have to Let it Dominate You"

Challenging as it may be, working through grief will help you to move on with your life.  Do not feel guilty, as if by moving on you would be betraying your loved one or forgetting him or her. The fact is that you will never forget your loved one. On certain occasions memories may come flooding back, but gradually the distressing symptoms will ease. 

You may also be able to recall bittersweet memories with fondness. For instance, Ashley, quoted in the previous article, says:  "I can remember the day before my mom passed away. She seemed to be doing better, and she had gotten out of bed for the first time in days.   While my sister was combing Mom's hair, the three of us started laughing at something, and I saw a smile on my mother's face that I hadn't seen in a long time. She was so content just to be there with her daughters." 

Memories of your loved one can be the very tool you need to help you move on.  That is what a young man named Alex found.  "After my dad's death," he says,  "I resolved to keep living as he had taught me-never to forget to enjoy life. To those  who have lost a parent, I would say this:  "You'll never truly  get over your parent's death, but you don't have to let it dominate you. Mourn and grieve as you must, but don't forget that you still  have to make the best of the life that is ahead of you." 

Next time:A BOOK YOU CAN TRUST- Rome in Bible History

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.