7.09.2015

How I Changed My Violent Ways


Bad Habits Die Hard

During the three years I served in the military, Encarnita had started to study the Bible in Spain with Jehovah's Witnesses.  She told me that she had discovered the truth about God, and her enthusiasm was contagious.  We quickly contacted the Witnesses in Switzerland and began to study the Bible together. 

I was thrilled to learn about God's purposes. Although I wanted to conform my life to Bible principles, making changes proved difficult-especially with regard to  my aggressive personality.  Still, I loved my new-found faith. After a few months of studying, I insisted that I was ready to share in the house-to-house ministry of Jehovah's Witnesses.

With Jehovah's help, I eventually learned self-control, and in time, Encarnita and I got baptized. At the age of 29, I was appointed to served as an overseer in the congregation.  

In 1975 we decided to return to Spain.  But the military had not forgotten me, and I was summoned to collaborate in another special mission. To avoid problems, I soon fled to Switzerland again. Our family lived there until 1996, when we finally went back to Spain. 

I now have a married son and daughter and two grandchildren, all of whom are serving Jehovah.  Furthermore, over the years, I have been able to help some 16 people get to know Jehovah, including one young man who had formerly been involved  in violent street protests in northern Spain.  This has brought me enormous satisfaction. 

I have repeatedly prayed to God to help me both reject my violent past and get relief from my recurring nightmares. In my struggle to do what is right, I have heeded the advice of Psalm 37:5:  "Roll upon Jehovah your way, and rely upon him, and he himself will act.  Jehovah has kept this promise. He has helped me to overcome my violent ways.  This has been a huge blessing for me and for my family. 

Next time: THE BIBLE'S VIEWPOINT/Is God Omnipresent?

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.